MQA Learnership Programme 2021 -2022
Every year the Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) offers individuals from different communities various MQA?learnership opportunities. These learnerships form part of the government?s National Skills Development Strategy to create skills and ease poverty and unemployment.
MQA Learnerships are open to those with the necessary qualification required to study towards qualifications such as Diesel Mechanics, Diamond Processing, Fitting and Turning, Jewellery Manufacturer, Electrical Maintenance, Boiler-making, Welding, and Engineering.
This is outcomes-based learning, and the learnerships are based on a legally binding contract between the learner, the employer, and the service provider.
About 40% of a learnership in the mining industry will consist of theoretical or workplace learning:
- The training must have a structured institutional learning component
- Learnership will have accredited training providers for the institutional component of the Learnership; and
- The learnership is an efficient and effective method for both learner and employer to achieve the qualification through a Learnership
The remaining 60% of the training will be practical workplace (on-the-job) training
- This part of the training will include structured workplace learning which is determined by the qualification and?associated unit standards
- Learners continue to receive a monthly stipend during this part of the training but are responsible for their own accommodation, meals, and transport
- The Department of Correctional Services does not pay a housing allowance, housing subsidy, pension fund, medical aid, danger allowance or overtime during a learnership.
Once the learner has successfully completed both the theoretical (instructional) and practical (workplace) phases, submitted a final Portfolio of Evidence (POE) and it has successfully undergone external verification, the relevant certification will be issued.
There are so many learnerships offered in the mining sector that it is impossible to list them all, but here are two examples of available learnerships.
1. Rigger Learnership
This position is critical for the safe operation and maintenance at a concentrator. Training focuses on how to provide specific rigging services and support to safely move specified heavy equipment and provide rope maintenance for chairlifts, winders, and other rope-and-pulley-operated equipment.
You will need:
- A Grade 12 or equivalent NQF 4 qualification with English literacy or N2 in Engineering Studies
- Numeracy skills and literacy
- No major sensory restrictions
- Good motor skills (hand, eye, and foot coordination)
- An analytical approach, with attention to detail.
- A valid Mobile/Overhead Crane and Forklift driving certificate would be an advantage, as would computer literacy (MS Office suite of packages).
- Working knowledge of applicable legislative, safety, health and environmental requirements and standards
- Working knowledge of and practical experience in engineering technologies and practices
How to Apply
Apply online at?www.lonmin.com
Click HERE?to apply online.
Closing Date:?24 October 20xx
Check out our other Rigger Learnerships.
2. Rock Engineer Learnership
Minimum Education Requirements
- Grade 12 or equivalent NQF 4 qualification with Maths and Science with a minimum pass of 50% HG OR 60% Standard Grade; or
- UMALUSI ? a level 5 pass for Mathematics and Physical Science Level 5 ? 60-69
Additional Education Requirements
A NQF level Rock Breaking Qualification or any Basic COM certification will be advantageous.
- Good hand-eye coordination
- No major sensory restrictions with the ability to pass a medical fitness test
- Numerical skills
- Practically orientated
- Procedural step-by-step approach
- Relevant computer skills (MS Office) will be an advantage.
How to apply
Click Here?to apply online.
Closing Date:?18 October 20xx.
MQA Learnership General Application Process
In order to apply for any of the MQA Learnerships, you must complete an application form in your own handwriting. You can obtain information about the MQA?learnership?from:
- SETAs and Department of Labour Centres
- The?Learnership Support Service?- on 012 309 4808
- The Department of Labour’s?website.
- You can also visit the Department of Labour and ask about available learnership opportunities
- Contact the?NQF and Career Advice Services?via SMS on 072 204 5056 or send a ‘Call Me’ to be contacted by one of their Advisors
When applying for the learnership, make sure that:
- ?You specify the learnership post that you are applying
- You sign the application form yourself
- You attach certified copies of your certificates and Identity Document (these copies must have been certified within the last 3 months – you can get this done at any Police Station)
- Application forms that are late or unsigned will not be accepted
- Photocopied forms will not be accepted
MQA Learnership Information
Mining Qualifications Authority SETA