SANParks Graduate Internships (Western Cape)
SANParks Graduate Internships (Western Cape) South Africa 2021 – 2022
13 June 2021.
Be sure to apply on or before this date – any applications submitted after this date are late and will NOT be accepted.
ABOUT THE COMPANY PROVIDING THE INTERNSHIP:
South African National Parks is one of the worlds top scientific research and conservation bodies. They lead and manage many of the country’s parks, responsible for the preservation of flora and fauna landscapes that are vital to our heritage.
South African National Parks offer a number of activities such as swimming, sightseeing, canoeing, game viewing, 4×4 trails, golf, accommodation tariffs, hiking, mountain biking, bird-watching, self-drive safaris, guided walks, cultural and historical experiences, and so much more.
DETAILS ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME:
Wilderness section, Western Cape
Tsitsikamma section, Western Cape
Knysna section, Western Cape
Number of positions available: 3 at each park
Stipend: R5 000 per month
Duration: 10 months, finishing in February 2022
SANParks is inviting Technical Graduates to apply to fill the vacancies of “General Infrastructure Maintenance Technical Graduates”. Graduates will assist the Garden Route National Park Technical Services Maintenance Department, with meeting its infrastructure maintenance responsibilities and empower and transfer skills to the youth. The Technical Graduates will be assisted to become independent entrepreneurs.
The programme is funded by the Norwegian Government, and is being conducted in line with the Socio-Economic Transformation Department: community benefit and support to Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP).
The Norwegian Government funding is focused on supporting the EPWP, to provide employment opportunities to previously disadvantaged Technical Graduates, residing in local communities around the Park.
Programme responsibilities include:
- Managing, delegating and supervising work to general infrastructure maintenance team/s on a labour-only basis
- Operational planning for works to be conducted
- Managing administration and finances of the contracting team
- General administration duties – including filling out attendance registers pay sheet for workers, vehicle log sheets, accident and incident register
- Keeping record of daily activities
- Ensuring health and safety procedures are followed
- Liaising with the Technical Services Manager and Project Manager within the National Park
- Following legal requirements in regard to transport and labour issues
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO APPLY:
Before applying, please ensure that you meet ALL of the following minimum entry criteria – failure to satisfy all the requirements will result in your application being disqualified:
- Must be a South African Citizen
- Must have completed Matric (NSC)
- Must have completed a National Diploma or Degree in one of these fields: Building, Civil Engineering or an equivalent qualification in Electrical, Carpentry, Plumbing and Mechanical trade
- Must have graduated between the year 2015 and 2020
- Must have a valid driver’s licence (essential)
- Must have and Professional Driving Permit (PDP) (essential)
- Must have general knowledge and understanding of allocating and managing work (essential)
- Must have good communication skills (verbal and written)
- Must be a Historically Disadvantaged Individual (HDI)
- Must be from the listed locality and communities
- Must be willing to work on weekends and Public Holidays
- Must be willing to work shifts as required by the supervisor or manager
- Must have your own transport to and from work
- Must have prior experience in general administration (advantageous but not essential)
- Must have Health and Safety, First Aid level 2 certificates (advantageous but not essential)
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE INTERNSHIP POSITION:
Interested candidates must submit the following relevant documents:
- Certified copy of your Identity Document
- An updated Curriculum Vitae, stating which position you wish to apply for
- Certified copies of your Tertiary Qualification (degree or diploma)
- Copies of academic transcripts/ record
- Copy of your drivers licence
Applications must be submitted via email or post to the relevant Park:
Email to: email@example.com
Post: P O Box 35, Wilderness, 6560
Email to: Cheryl.Wiley@sanparks.org
Post: P O Box 3542, Knysna, 6570
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Post: Private Bag X 1, Storms River, 6308
*Please ensure that you clearly indicate which Park you wish to be placed at.
1) South African National Parks employs its candidates in accordance with the company’s Employment Equity Plan
2) Preference will be given to Youth, Women and those living with disabilities (in line with the EPWP employment equity objectives).
3) South African National Parks is NOT obligated to fill the position or make an appointment
4) Failure to submit all required documents will result in your application being disqualified
5) All foreign documentation MUST be evaluated by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA)
6) All interviews are subject to verification and a pre-screening process
7) Manual applications will result in disqualification
8) Shortlisted candidates will be contacted only – if you have not heard a response within 14 days of the closing date, consider you application unsuccessful.
CONTACT THE INTERNSHIP PROVIDER FOR QUERIES:
For any queries related to this internship programme, please contact the relevant SANParks directly:
Contact person: Nadia Brooks
Telephone number: 044 877 0046
Email address: email@example.com
Applications to be sent to:
Contact person: Cheryl Wiley
Telephone number: 044 877 0046044 302 5628
Email address: Cheryl.Wiley@sanparks.org
Contact person: Valencia Cunningham
Telephone number: 042 281 1557
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org