National Library of South Africa (NLSA) Trainee/ Internship (Pretoria Gauteng)
National Library of South Africa (NLSA) Trainee/ Internship (Pretoria, Gauteng) South Africa
National Library of South Africa (NLSA) Trainee/ Internship (Pretoria, Gauteng)
Be sure to apply on or before this date – any applications submitted after this date are late and will NOT be accepted.
ABOUT THE COMPANY PROVIDING THE INTERNSHIP:
The objectives of the National Library of South Africa (NLSA) are to contribute to socio-economic, cultural, educational, scientific and innovative development by collecting, recording, preserving and making available the national documentary heritage and promoting an awareness and appreciation thereof, by fostering information literacy, and by facilitating access to the world’s information resources.
DETAILS ABOUT THE INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME:
Location: Pretoria, Gauteng
Number of positions available: 27
Contract duration: 3 months
Stipend/ Salary: R 5 700 per month
National Library of South Africa is inviting graduates to apply for 27 vacancies as Trainee Assistant Archivists, at the National Archives and Records Service of South Africa in Pretoria.
The purpose of this short-term employment opportunity is to assist the National Archives and Records Services of South Africa (NARSSA) to digitise, conserve, secure and making accessible its paper-based and audio-visual archival collections.
Successful candidates will receive training and be provided with real work experience enabling them to gain skills and valuable experience that can be applied in future jobs.
Core key responsibilities
- Preservation and conservation services
- Arrangement and description of paper-based and /or audio-visual records
- Capturing, verification and data clean-up on the National Archives database
- Evaluation and preparation of paper-based and audiovisual records for digitization
- Follow detailed instructions
- Prepare weekly and monthly reports
- Be willing to rotate in similar roles as requested
- Work rotational shifts, including weekends, when requested
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS NEEDED TO APPLY:
Before applying, please ensure that you meet ALL of the following minimum entry criteria – failure to satisfy all the requirements will result in your application being disqualified:
- Must be between 18 and 35 years old
- Must have completed a Bachelor’s degree in one of these fields: Archival Studies, History, Heritage Studies, Film Studies or Sound Engineering
- Advantageous: have completed a postgraduate qualification in any of the above fields
- Students who obtained their qualifications through the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture’s Heritage Bursary Scheme are encouraged to apply
- Computer literacy is an added advantage
- Ability to perform moderately heavy physical work
- Demonstrable excellent communication skills and outstanding work ethics
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team and under pressure
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE INTERNSHIP POSITION:
Applications must be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attach the following documents to your application email:
- A completed Application form
- A cover letter
- A Comprehensive Curriculum Vitae
- A certified copy of your Matric certificate
- A certified copy of your relevant qualification
- A certified copy of your academic transcripts (not older than 6 months)
- A certified copy of your Identification Document
1) No applications from recruitment agencies will be accepted.
2) Should you not receive any correspondence/communication from the NLSA within 1 month after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
3) For the purpose of selection shortlisted candidates might be subjected to a competency test to determine their suitability to participate in the Programme.
4) The National Library of South Africa is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and reserves the right not to make an appointment.
5) Appointments will be made according to the NLSA’s Employment Equity requirements and people with disabilities are invited to apply.
CONTACT THE INTERNSHIP PROVIDER FOR QUERIES:
For any queries related to this internship programme, please contact the NLSA team directly:
Tel: 012 401 9700
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Listed below are different sectors of the Government in South Africa that are offering Learnerships. These government Learnerships are very popular among the SA public. We are working on extending the list as there are many departments offering Learnerships.